Certificado de Eficiencia Energética (CEE), Energy Proficiency Certificate

The Spanish government requires all existing homes that are for sale or rent to have an “energy certificate”.

The Ministry of Industry has finalised a set of regulations that will make it obligatory for all homes that are sold or rented (in excess of 4 months) in Spain to have an “energy efficiency certificate”. This is a document that describes how efficient your home’s energy consumption is and will cost around 250 Euros for the average home.

The European directive aims to increase energy efficiency in buildings and homes in order to protect the environment, and makes it compulsory for all new and existing homes which come onto the market, whether for sale or for rent, to have this certificate.

The promotion of energy efficiency in buildings and homes has formed part of European priorities since 2002, when Directive 2002/91/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council was approved. This directive was implemented in Spain in 2007 through Royal Decree 4 7/2007, although at that time it was only applicable to developers. Now private individuals have to comply and this is likely to stir up strong feelings, judging by what has happened in other European countries where it has already been implemented.

The 2002 Directive and the 2010 amendment of the Directive made it obligatory to promote energy efficiency in existing buildings and homes. Consequently, all homes that come onto the market in any country in the European Union, whether for sale or for rent, have to have this energy efficiency certificate, which is valid for a maximum of 10 years.

What Does This Mean?

All homeowners who want to sell or lease their property (for more than 4 months) must make this “energy certificate” available to the prospective buyer and/or tenant.

The owner of the home, building, or business premises will be responsible for obtaining and paying for the certificate, which they will need in order to sell or lease their home. In addition to the certificate, each home will also receive a series of recommendations to improve the energy performance of the home and enable it to go up at least one level in the energy efficiency scale.

The drawback to these new regulations is the additional expense for homeowners. Please refer to prices listed below.

Has the royal decree regulating the energy efficiency certificates been approved?

Yes, it has been approved and will come into force on the 1st of June, 2013.

Who can issue an energy efficiency certificate?

According to the royal decree “energy efficiency certificates should be issued by qualified professional technicians who are authorised to undertake building projects and thermal installations for buildings. The property owner may choose the technician of their choice “.

What is an energy certificate?

It is a report that describes how efficient a home is in terms of energy consumption and also gives recommendations on how to save money and make your home more efficient. It assigns an energy rating to each home on a scale which ranges from “A” (the best) to “G” (the worst).

Will I be able to sell a home which does not have an energy certificate after 1st June 2013?

No you won´t. You will have to have a certificate before selling your home.

Who will have to pay for the energy certificate?

The owner of the property which is for sale or which will be rented.

How do I know if the property already has an energy performance certificate? Is there a website to check?

The Energy Performance Certificate (or a copy of it) should be shown when constructed, sold or rented to the buyer or tenant. Each community will establish a register updated every six months.<^P>

How do I receive my EPC?

Your assessor will give you the certificate once it has been fully registered and approved.

How long is the energy certificate valid for?

The certificate is valid for 10 years. This means owners will not have to obtain a new certificate during this period unless they renovate or change the property in any way.

If I want to sell my home and it has a poor energy rating, such as D, E or F, am I obliged to make any improvements?

No, you are not obliged to make any improvements even if your property has a low rating.

Will a low rating affect the sale of my home? Can I sell it without any problems?

You are free to sell your home. The only way it will affect a sale is how the rating influences the buyer.

At what point in the marketing process of my property do I need an EPC?

From the 1st of June 2013 every property being marketed for sale or rent will require an EPC. For existing properties on the market an EPC must be commissioned by the 1st of June 2013. The Autonomous Registration will carry out inspection and administrative controls for properties that are being advertised for sale/rent.

Exceptions, what are they?

  • a) Buildings and monuments officially protected as part of a designated environment or because of their special architectural or historic significance.
  • b) Buildings or parts of buildings used exclusively as places of worship and for religious activities.
  • c) Temporary buildings with a planned time of use exceeding two years.
  • d) Industrial buildings, defense and agricultural or parts thereof, in the part for workshops, industrial processes, defense and non-residential and agricultural.
  • e) Buildings or parts of buildings insulated with a total useful floor area of less than 50 m2.
  • f) Building purchased for major renovations or demolition.
  • g) Buildings or parts of existing residential buildings whose use are less than four months a year, or for a limited time a year and
    with expected energy consumption of less than 25 percent.

How much will the technician who issues the energy certificate charge?

Below are the rates M3BT has obtained:-

FLAT 100.00 21.00 121.00
HOUSE 150.00 31.50 181.50

Will the technician need to visit the property (generally homes)?

Yes. They have to visit the property to take measurements and collect information about the property before drawing up and certifying the report.

If you would like to book our technician for your Energy Proficiency Certificate then please email our office at or call us on 962 – 815 – 272.